Which Premier League team had the best January transfer window?
A lot of money was spent in the Premier League during the January transfer window.
£780m of the £2.8bn that has been spent over the course of the season to be exact.
But the question on the lips of everyone is who did the best business? Who did some savvy dealings and who paid way over the odds to land anyone they could get their hands on?
Here's how the 20 Premier League teams fared spending all that money.
- Dango Ouattara (FW) - Lorient - undisclosed
- Darren Randolph (GK) - West Ham - free
- Antoine Semenyo (FW) - Bristol City - undisclosed
- Matias Vina (DF) - Roma - loan
- Illia Zabarnyi (DF) - Dynamo Kyiv - undisclosed
- Hamed Traore (MF) - Sassuolo - £20m
- James Hill (DF) - Hearts - loan
- Jamal Lowe (FW) - QPR - loan
- Emiliano Marcondes (MF) - Nordsjaelland - loan
- Ferdinand Okoh (MF) - Dorchester - loan
- Gavin Kilkenny (MF) - Charlton - loan
- Siriki Dembele (FW) - Auxerre - loan
Bournemouth spent more money than anyone was really expecting this January - particularly on deadline day when they brought in Hamed Traore and Illia Zabarnyi for around £40m.
The former will be a consistently good performer for the club, while the latter - according to FM23 - could become one of the better defenders with the right training, mentoring and gametime (the three things needed on FM23 anyways).
Also they probably dodged a bullet by missing out on Nicolo Zaniolo.
- Leandro Trossard (FW) - Brighton - undisclosed
- Jakub Kiwior (DF) - Spezia - £20m
- Jorginho (MF) - Chelsea - £12m
- Brooke Norton-Cuffy (DF) - Coventry - loan
- Miguel Azeez (MF) - Wigan - loan
- Arthur Okonkwo (GK) - Sturm Graz - loan
- Ovie Ejeher (GK) - SJK Seinajoki - loan
- Harry Clarke (DF) - Ipswich - undisclosed
- Tom Smith (GK) - Colchester - loan
- Marquinhos (FW) - Norwich - loan
- Nathan Butler-Oyedeji (FW) - Accrington Stanley - loan
- Omar Rekik (DF) - Wigan - loan
- Albert Sambi Lokonga (MF) - Crystal Palace - loan
- Cedric Soares (DF) - Fulham - loan
The Gunners needed some quality depth this winter, and they added exactly that.
Jorginho seems to be a particularly shrewd acquisition, with the midfielder adding winning experience to a youthful Arsenal team on the brink of Premier League glory.
- Cameron Archer (FW) - Middlesbrough - loan
- Tyreik Wright (FW) - Plymouth - loan
- Jhon Duran (FW) - Chicago Fire - loan
- Frederic Guilbert (DF) Strasbourg - free transfer
- Indiana Vassilev (FW) - St Louis City - undisclosed
- Morgan Sanson (MF) - Strasbourg - loan
- Danny Ings (FW) - West Ham - £15m
- Jan Bednarek (DF) - Southampton - end of loan
- Ludwig Augustinsson (DF) - Sevilla - end of loan
- Louie Barry (FW) - Salford City - loan
- Aaron Ramsey (MF) - Middlesbrough - loan
- Marvelous Nakamba (MF) - Luton - loan
Alex Moreno has impressed since joining the club, while Jhon Duran is a long-term investment who could come good in the next few years.
They didn't do a whole lot but Unai Emery already has a decent squad at his disposal so they didn't really need to.
- Byron Wilson (DF) - Coventry - free transfer
- Kevin Schade (FW) - Freiburg - loan
- Beaux Booth (MF) - Dorking - undisclosed
- Romeo Beckham (MF) - Inter Miami - loan
- Aaron Presley (FW) - Accrington Stanley - loan
- Edon Pruti (DF) - Hartlepool - undisclosed
- Mads Bech Sorensen (DF) - Groningen - loan
- Ellery Balcombe (GK) - Bristol Rovers - loan
- Tariqe Fosu (FW) - Rotherham - loan
- Paris Maghoma (MF) - MK Dons - loan
- Charlie Goode (DF) - Blackpool - loan
- Sergi Canos (MF) - Olympiacos - loan
Kevin Schade is a fun signing. Keep an eye out for him throughout the rest of the season, he's a winger who takes on his man which is quite rare in today's game (even though it shouldn't be).
The Bees probably could've done with signing a striker in case the 'bad thing' happens with Ivan Toney before the end of the season though. They could be made to rue that lack of investment in a replacement number nine soon...
- Facundo Buonanotte (MF) - Rosario Central - undisclosed
- Jamie Mullins (MF) - Bohemians - undisclosed
- Mark O'Mahony (FW) - Cork - undisclosed
- Yasin Ayari (MF) - AIK - undisclosed
- Aaron Connolly (FW) - Hull - loan
- Reda Khadra (FW) - Birmingham - loan
- Leandro Trossard (FW) - Arsenal - undisclosed
- Todd Miller (FW) - Doncaster - loan
- Ed Turns (DF) - Leyton Orient - loan
- James Beadle (GK) - Crewe - loan
- Shane Duffy (DF) - Fulham - undisclosed
- Antef Tsoungui (DF) - Lorient - loan
- Lorent Tolaj (FW) - Dundee - loan
- Jack Spong (MF) - Crawley - loan
Brighton lost one of their bigger ticket players to Arsenal but, thanks to Kaoru Mitoma being amazing they haven't exactly missed him at all.
Standing firm on Moises Caicedo was the right thing to do too. He's brilliant and will be difficult to replace when he eventually leaves Brighton - they didn't need that headache in January.
- David Datro Fofana (FW) - Molde - undisclosed
- Benoit Badiashile (DF) - Monaco - undisclosed
- Andrey Santos (MF) - Vasca da Gama - undisclosed
- Joao Felix (FW) - Atletico Madrid - loan
- Mykhailo Mudryk (FW) - Shakhtar Donetsk - £88.5m
- Noni Madueke (FW) - PSV Eindhoven - undisclosed
- Malo Gusto (DF) - Lyon - £26.3m
- Enzo Fernandez (MF) - Benfica - £107m
- Malo Gusto (DF) - Lyon - loan
- Cesare Casedei (MF) - Reading - loan
- Bashir Humphreys (DF) - Paderborn - loan
- Jude Soonsup-Bell (FW) - Tottenham - undisclosed
- Jorginho (MF) - Arsenal - £12m
Where do you even start?
How do you even go about this?
Let's just list the signings and give three word assessments I guess:
- David Datro Fofana: An FM23 signing
- Benoit Badiashile: Necessary and great
- Andrey Santos: An FM23 signing
- Joao Felix: An expensive loan
- Mykhailo Mudryk: Fun but expensive
- Noni Madueke: A confusing signing
- Malo Gusto: One to watch
- Enzo Fernandez: Most money ever
- Killian Phillips (MF) - Shrewsbury Town - loan
- Jack Butland (GK) - Man Utd - loan
- John-Kymani Gordon (FW) - Carlisle - loan
- Malcolm Ebiowei (FW) - Hull - loan
- Luke Plange (FW) - Lincoln City - loan
- Ryan Bartley (DF) - Eastbourne Borough - loan
- David Boateng (DF) - Dover Athletic - loan
Palace added some midfield depth with the deadline day signings of Naouirou Ahamada and Alberto Sambi Lokonga.
Good for them, maybe.
- Salomon Rondon (FW) - released
- Tom Cannon (FW) - Preston - loan
- Nathan Broadhead (FW) - Ipswich - undisclosed
- Niels Nkounkou (DF) - Saint-Etienne - loan
- Seb Quirk (MF) - Accrington Stanley - undisclosed
- Anthony Gordon (FW) - Newcastle - £40m
- Tyler Onyango (MF) - Forest Green Rovers - loan
- Joe Anderson (DF) - Sunderland - undisclosed
The Toffees needed to do a lot.
They did nothing instead.
A complete disaster.
- Sasa Lukic (MF) - Torino - undisclosed
- Shane Duffy (DF) - Brighton - undisclosed
- Cedric Soares (DF) - Arsenal - loan
- Anthony Knockaert (FW) - Huddersfield - loan
- Ibane Bowat (DF) - Den Bosch - loan
- Josh Onomah (MF) - Preston - free
- Connor McAvoy (DF) - Partick Thistle - loan
- Idris Odutayo (DF) - Maidenhead United - loan
- Nathaniel Chalobah (MF) - West Brom - undisclosed
All their business was done on deadline day, and they made a few quietly shrewd signings to be fair to them.
Cedric is Premier League proven and Sasa Lukic is solid and consistent performer.
All in, quite good.
- Max Wober (DF) - Red Bull Salzburg - undisclosed
- Georginio Rutter (FW) - Hoffenheim - £30m
- Weston McKennie (MD) - Juventus - loan
- Diogo Monteiro (DF) - Servette - undisclosed
- Alfie McCalmont (MF) - Carlisle - loan
- Leo Hjelde (DF) - Rotherham - loan
- Mateusz Klich (MF) - D.C. United - undisclosed
- Max Dean (FW) - MK Dons - undisclosed
- Cody Drameh (DF) - Luton - loan
- Joe Gelhardt (FW) - Sunderland - loan
- Diego Llorente (DF) - Roma - loan
Big big money was spent on Georginio Rutter, and he looks like he can be a great player in the long-term for Leeds. Max Wober has come in and impressed immediately.
What stops Leeds from getting a higher grade is the fact that they've signed Weston McKennie, who has been in utterly woeful form for Juventus in recent seasons.
- Victor Kristiansen (DF) - Copenhagen - undisclosed
- Tete (FW) - Shakhtar Donetsk - loan
- Nathan Opoku (FW) - Field Masters Sporting Club - undisclosed
- Harry Souttar (DF) - Stoke City - £15m
- George Hirst (FW) - Ipswich - loan
- Ben Nelson (DF) - Doncaster - loan
- Jakub Stolarczyk (GK) - Hartlepool - loan
- Ayoze Perez (FW) - Real Betis - loan
- Nathan Opoku (FW) - OH Leuven - loan
- Marc Albrighton (MF) - West Brom - loan
- Kasey McAteer (MF) - AFC Wimbledon - loan
Leicester City finally signed some players!
And they're all ok!
Harry Souttar seems like a particularly good signing considering the club's defensive woes this season.
- Jake Cain (MF) - Swindon - undisclosed
- Jarell Quansah (DF) - Bristol Rovers - loan
- Luke Chambers (DF) - Kilmarnock - loan
One big signing in Cody Gakpo was definitely to keep Liverpool fans happy nor nearly enough to stop Liverpool's slide down the table.
The Reds needed to do a lot more.
- Nahuel Bustos (FW) - Talleres - loan
- Morgan Rogers (FW) - Blackpool - loan
- Josh Wilson-Esbrand (DF) - Coventry - loan
- Liam Delap (FW) - Preston - loan
- Kayky (FW) - Bahia - loan
- Joao Cancelo (DF) - Bayern Munich - loan
- Luke Mbete (DF) - Bolton - loan
They let one of their better players (Joao Cancelo) leave on loan and they now have a worse squad than they did at the start of January.
- Jack Butland (GK) - Crystal Palace - loan
- Wout Weghorst (FW) - Burnley - loan
- Marcel Sabitzer (MF) - Bayern - loan
- Cristiano Ronaldo (FW) - released
- Martin Dubravka (GK) - Newcastle - end of loan
- Shola Shoretire (FW) - Bolton - loan
- Charlie Savage (MF) - Forest Green Rovers - loan
- Charlie McNeill (FW) - Newport County - loan
- Di'Shon Bernard (DF) - Portsmouth - loan
- Axel Tuanzebe (DF) - Stoke City - loan
Man Utd didn't make any particularly headline-grabbing signings in January, but the ones they did make seems like smart short-term investments.
Wout Weghorst adds a different dimension to the attack when needed, and Marcel Sabitzer will be an able replacement for the injured Christian Eriksen in midfield.
- Amadou Diallo (FW) - free agent
- Garang Kuol (FW) - Central Coast Mariners - undisclosed
- Anthony Gordon (FW) - Everton - £40m
- Harrison Ashby (DF) - West Ham - undisclosed
- Joe White (MF) - Exeter - loan
- Chris Wood (FW) - Nottingham Forest - loan
- Garang Kuol (FW) - Hearts - loan
- Niall Brookwell (MF) - Darlington - loan
- Jonjo Shelvey (MF) - Nottingham Forest - undisclosed
- Karl Darlow (GK) - Hull City - loan
Newcastle United didn't need to do a whole lot in the transfer window because, well, they're bloody brilliant.
They went out and signed Anthony Gordon for £40m though which seems like a gamble. He was decent last season, but awful this season. We'll have to see which Gordon they'll get.
- Gustavo Scarpa (MF) - Palmeiras - free transfer
- Chris Wood (FW) - Newcastle - loan
- Danilo (MF) - Palmeiras - undisclosed
- Felipe (DF) - Atletico Madrid - undisclosed
- Jonjo Shelvey (MF) - Newcastle - undisclosed
- Keylor Navas (GK) - PSG - loan
- Josh Bowler (FW) - Blackpool - loan
- Dale Taylor (FW) - Burton - loan
- Loic Mbe Soh (DF) - Guingamp - loan
- Aaron Donnelly (DF) - Port Vale - loan
- Ateef Konate (FW) - Oxford United - loan
- Brandon Aguilera (MF) - Estoril - loan
Forest may have just secured their place in the Premier League with a wonderful deadline day.
Steve Cooper's men signed Felipe from Atletico Madrid, Jonjo Shelvey from Newcastle United and Keylor Navas from PSG - the latter being one of the better goalkeepers of the last decade.
- Mislav Orsic (FW) - Dinamo Zagreb - undisclosed
- Carlos Alcaraz (FW) - Racing Club - undisclosed
- James Bree (DF) - Luton - undisclosed
- Kamaldeen Sulemana (FW) - Rennes - undisclosed
- Paul Onuachu (FW) - Genk - undisclosed
- Dynel Simeu (DF) - Morecambe - loan
- Dan Nlundulu (FW) - Bolton - loan
- Ryan Finnigan (MF) - Crewe - loan
- Kazeem Olaigbe (FW) - Harrogate - loan
- Thierry Small (DF) - St Mirren - loan
- Lewis Payne (DF) - Eastleigh - loan
Fair play to Southampton, they've really given this transfer window a good go.
And they've signed some decent players during it.
Mislav Orsic seems like a particularly shrewd bit of business.
- Arnaut Danjuma (FW) - Villarreal - loan
- Jude Soonsup-Bell (FW) - Chelsea - undisclosed
- Pedro Porro (DF) - Sporting CP - loan
- Bryan Gil (FW) - Sevilla - loan
- Harvey White (MF) - Derby County - loan
- Djed Spence (DF) - Rennes - loan
- Matt Doherty (DF) - Atletico Madrid - free transfer
- Adam Hayton (GK) - Barnsley - undisclosed
Tottenham Hotspur went out and signed their top target Pedro Porro on deadline day.
That's a W in our books.
West Ham United
- Thierry Nevers (FW) - Bradford - loan
- Craig Dawson (DF) - Wolves - undisclosed
- Pierre Ekwah (MF) - Sunderland - undisclosed
- Darren Randolph (GK) - Bournemouth - free transfer
- Conor Coventry (MF) - Rotherham - loan
- Will Greenidge (DF) - Colchester - undisclosed
- Harrison Ashby (DF) - Newcastle - undisclosed
Danny Ings seemed like a really nice bit of business for West Ham...and then he got injured on his debut.
Things just aren't going the Hammers' way right now.
- Matheus Cunha (FW) - Atletico Madrid - loan
- Mario Lemina (MF) - Nice - £9.7m
- Pablo Sarabia (FW) - PSG - undisclosed
- Craig Dawson (DF) - West Ham - undisclosed
- Daniel Bentley (GK) - Bristol City - undisclosed
- Joao Gomes (MF) - Flamengo - undisclosed
- Leo Bonatini (FW) - released
- Goncalo Guedes (FW) - Benfica - loan
- Theo Corbeanu (FW) - Arminia Bielefeld - loan
- Leonardo Campana (FW) - Inter Miami - £2.3m
- Fabio Silva (FW) - PSV Eindhoven - loan
- Matija Sarkic (GK) - Stoke - loan
- Chem Campbell (FW) - Wycombe - loan
- Jackson Smith (GK) - Walsall - loan
- Ki-Jana Hoever (DF) - Stoke - loan
- Jackson Smith (GK) - Walsall - loan
- Chem Campbell (MF) - Wycombe - loan
It was utterly soul-destroying watching Wolves during the first half of the season.
After signing Matheus Cunha, Pablo Sarabia and Joao Gomes, the second half of the season will likely not be as soul-destroying. Dare we say it might even be fun for Wolves fans.