Manchester City

Man City fan 'left for dead' in alleged assault after Club Brugge victory

Krishan Davis
Man City fans in the away end at the Jan Breydel Stadium
Man City fans in the away end at the Jan Breydel Stadium / ANP Sport/GettyImages
facebooktwitterreddit

A Manchester City fan was 'left for dead' after allegedly being assaulted by Club Brugge supporters following the pair's Champions League Group A encounter in Belgium on Tuesday night, and is 'fighting for his life' in hospital.

Pep Guardiola's side cruised to a 5-1 victory in Bruges, courtesy of strikes from Joao Cancelo, Kyle Walker and Cole Palmer, and a brace from Riyad Mahrez.

However, while there was no trouble to be seen in the stands during the match, a City fan is said to have been hospitalised after being attacked by opposition supporters on his way home from the game.

According to HLN, the 63-year-old Man City follower - who is Belgian and part of a supporters' club based there - was assaulted in a car park off one of the main roads out of Bruges near Drongen, on the outskirts of Gent, and 'left for dead'.

The report says the man was still unconscious when he was rushed to hospital in Gent, where he is 'fighting for his life'.

The alleged victim's son gave his account of what happened to the Belgian outlet, saying: "After the match we stopped at the parking lot along the E40 in Drongen.

"While we were already driving on, my dad was waiting outside for his two friends. There, a Club [Brugge] supporter approached him and pulled his scarf from his neck. When my dad asked for his scarf back, he received a heavy blow to the head after which the perpetrators fled and left my dad for dead."

In a club statement, Man City said: "Everyone at Manchester City is shocked and saddened to hear reports of an attack on one of our supporters after the Champions League game in Bruges last night.

"We are currently working with our counterparts at Club Brugge as well as Belgian and Greater Manchester Police to establish more information.

"Our thoughts and best wishes go out to the family and friends of the Belgian-based supporter, who remains in hospital."

In their own statement, Club Brugge said: "Club Brugge was horrified to learn of the events at the E40 motorway parking lot in Drongen where a Manchester City supporter, who had previously been a guest at the Jan Breydel Stadium, was attacked.

"Club Brugge strongly disapproves of all criminal behaviour, both inside and outside the stadium and puts tolerance first. Our thoughts go out to the family and friends of the Manchester City supporter."

A social media post from the Blue Moon Belgium supporters' group added: "Blue Moon Belgium fell victim to senseless (supporters) violence last night.

"My father was cowardly attacked for his City scarf at a stopover in Drongen. We hope the perpetrators are found and punished.

"We were everywhere in England and the rest of Europe, never aggression. We come to Belgium once and you will be left for dead."

facebooktwitterreddit