Liverpool

Sadio Mane bids farewell to Liverpool after Champions League final defeat

Krishan Davis
Mane looks dejected at full-time in the Champions League final
Mane looks dejected at full-time in the Champions League final / Ian MacNicol/GettyImages
facebooktwitterreddit

Sadio Mane has given the clearest indication yet that he plans to leave Liverpool this summer, seemingly bidding farewell to the club following the Champions League final defeat to Real Madrid on Saturday night.

Despite dominating the ball for long periods and having the vast majority of the chances on the night, a second-half finish from Vinicius Jr saw Los Blancos snatch victory in Paris to secure their 14th European Cup success.

Mane's future had been uncertain before kick-off amid interest from Bayern Munich, with his contract at Anfield due to expire in 2023. The forward revealed he would give an answer over his next move following the match - first suggesting he might leave Liverpool, and then hinting he would stay.

True to his word, the forward gave a more definitive insight into where his future lies after the agonising Champions League final defeat.

Speaking to AS, the Senegal international said: "I want to thank the [Liverpool] fans for everything and the coach too. I wish this team all the best in the world."

However, despite the player's now public stance, 90min understands that the Reds will only sanction Mane's departure should a suitable offer arrive. His representatives feel a £40m fee would be fair, but Liverpool's demands could be far higher.


Listen now to 90min's brand new podcast, Talking Transfers, with Scott SaundersGraeme Bailey & Toby Cudworth. This week they discuss West Ham's Declan Rice contract plans, Gabriel Jesus' Manchester City future and how Aston Villa still want Yves Bissouma despite adding Boubacar Kamara to their ranks. There's also chat on Kylian Mbappe's decision to stay at PSG, Aurelien Tchouameni & Mohamed Salah.


Sources have told 90min that while Mane has so far failed to agree a contract extension, fresh talks had been planned with his representatives in the coming week now that Liverpool's season is officially over.

Real Madrid, Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain are also among the clubs to have been informed of the stand-off.

With some smart business in the transfer window, Liverpool have future-proofed somewhat in the attacking areas with the arrivals of the likes of Luis Diaz and Diogo Jota. Fulham wonderkid Fabio Carvalho will also move to Merseyside in the summer.

facebooktwitterreddit