Ronald Koeman is set to remain as manager of Barcelona - but only after taking a pay cut.
The Dutchman took over last August amid significant turmoil both on and off the pitch. Since then he has steadied the ship, leading his side to Copa del Rey glory but falling well short in both La Liga and the Champions League.
Many expected Koeman to be sacked at the end of the season but according to Diario Sport (via the Daily Mail), he will start the 2021/22 campaign in charge. However, he will be expected to take a pay cut first.
Koeman's current contract is set to run until 2022. It is said that he will be offered an extra year in exchange for reducing his basic pay, although he will earn performance based bonuses if he wins trophies.
When asked about Koeman's future on Tuesday, club president Joan Laporta said: "Talks have gone well. I think this period of reflection has been good. Things will improve with Koeman. None of us want what happened last season to happen again this season. I feel very comfortable talking with him and I hope he feels the same way."
Barcelona's effort to trim their astronomical wage bill have not been limited to their manager. The club are keen for several high earners, including Sergi Roberto, Jordi Alba and Sergio Busquets to also trim their earnings.
Due to this perilous financial situation, Barcelona have steered away from paying transfer fees so far. Manchester City pair Eric Garcia and Sergio Aguero have both been brought in on free transfers and they should soon be followed by Georginio Wijnaldum and Memphis Depay, both of whom are out of contract as well.
Emerson Royal, who Barcelona struck a shared ownership deal for with Real Betis in 2019, has also been signed permanently after impressing out on loan.