Premier League

Newcastle to investigate alleged racist incident in Tottenham defeat

Jude Summerfield
Newcastle have launched an investigation into an alleged racist incident
Newcastle have launched an investigation into an alleged racist incident / Visionhaus/GettyImages

Newcastle have confirmed they have launched an investigation after police were informed of an alleged racist incident that took place in Sunday's defeat to Tottenham.

One person is said to have made a racist gesture to a member of Tottenham's supporters in the away end at St James' Park, and the Magpies have now released a statement.

It reads: "Newcastle United is aware of an alleged racist gesture made by an individual towards Tottenham Hotspur supporters inside St. James' Park during Sunday's match. An investigation is under way and the police have been made aware.

"Our message is clear - football is for everyone. Discrimination has absolutely no place in football, in the street, online or in wider society and we will not tolerate it under any circumstances.

"Newcastle United will pursue the strongest possible action against anyone involved in discriminatory behaviour and will support any efforts by the authorities to secure a criminal conviction. The club is adhering to the Premier League commitment regarding Abusive and Discriminatory conduct, which facilitates the banning of any fan found to have been involved in abusive and/or discriminatory conduct from all Premier League stadia."

A Northumbria Police spokesperson added: "We can confirm we are investigating an alleged racist incident during Newcastle United’s home fixture with Tottenham at St. James’ Park on Sunday.

"Enquiries are ongoing with the club to identify anyone involved and ascertain whether criminal offences have been committed.

"As a Force, we do not tolerate hate crime of any kind within our communities and are committed to taking swift and robust action against perpetrators."

Tottenham are yet to comment.

Spurs won the game 3-2 thanks to goals from Tanguy Ndombele, Harry Kane and Son Heung-min, with Newcastle netting at the start and the end of the game through Callum Wilson's header and Eric Dier's own goal.

Sunday's game was halted when a fan needed medical attention. It was later confirmed the supporter was 'stable and responsive' in hospital.