FC Barcelona

Ousmane Dembele's agent blames Barcelona for contract talks stalling

Jude Summerfield
Dembele's future is uncertain
Dembele's future is uncertain / Quality Sport Images/GettyImages
facebooktwitterreddit

Ousmane Dembele's agent says it is Barcelona's fault that the Frenchman has not yet signed a new contract with the club, claiming they are the ones risking his future.

Months of negotiations have been fruitless so far, with Dembele's current deal set to expire at the end of the season. Some reports have suggested he won't play if he doesn't sign a new contract, though he still featured in the recent Supercopa de Espana defeat to Real Madrid.

Sport have suggested one final meeting will take place on Wednesday to decide whether or not the 24-year-old will remain at Camp Nou, and Barça will rule on their course of action depending on the outcome of that showdown.

Speaking to RMC Sport, Dembele's agent said: “They’re putting the pressure on, but it doesn’t work with people like us. Maybe it works with agents who are close to Barcelona. That’s not the case with me, I’m here to defend my player’s interests.

“We’re not here to react to debates on social media, but the truth has to be said. Yes, we have high demands, but we’ve shown in the past that Ousmane’s career choices are not dictated by money, else he wouldn’t be here. Then, if Barcelona wanted to negotiate, they could have come to the table with us to talk. Except there are no discussions and there are threats coming from them that he won’t play. That’s not allowed. We will exercise Ousmane Dembélé’s rights if necessary.

“We don’t know what we’re going to do, nothing is decided. But the management are losing Ousmane by themselves. From the start, we’ve shown that we wanted to negotiate, with terms, but without closing the door.”

If Dembele were to leave Barça, Newcastle and Manchester United have been touted as potential destinations.


For more from Jude Summerfield, follow him on Twitter!

facebooktwitterreddit