Nottingham Forest 2-3 Bournemouth: Cherries seal astonishing comeback win

Dominic Solanke turns home Bournemouth's equalising goal
Dominic Solanke turns home Bournemouth's equalising goal / Marc Atkins/GettyImages

Bournemouth engineered a remarkable second half turnaround to snatch all three points from Nottingham Forest in a 3-2 victory at the City Ground.

Forest took the lead on the half-hour mark through summer signing Cheikhou Kouyate. Morgan Gibbs-White sent in an enticing cross from a corner where Kouyate, handed a starting berth by Steve Cooper, rose highest to head past Neto in the Bournemouth goal.

It was the hosts' first real chance of the afternoon, but they doubled their advantage just before half-time to send the City Ground into a frenzy. Neco Williams' half-volley struck the arm of Lloyd Kelly and the referee pointed to the penalty spot. Despite being sent to the pitchside monitor, the penalty stood before Brennan Johnson made no mistake from 12 yards.

Bournemouth emerged for the second half with a point to prove, creating a decent opening when Ryan Christie was found with a lofted pass from Jefferson Lerma only for Renan Lodi to clear the danger.

However, they pulled a goal back minutes later as Phillip Billing unleashed a thunderous strike from 30 yards out to beat Dean Henderson in the Forest goal.

Bournemouth's tails were up, with Christie's goalbound effort requiring an intervention. Minutes later, the visitors had completed their comeback with another outstanding piece of individual skill.

Nottingham Forest were in cruise control after Cheikhou Kouyate's opener
Nottingham Forest were in cruise control after Cheikhou Kouyate's opener / Tony Marshall/GettyImages

Kelly headed the ball back across goal from a deep corner where Dominic Solanke produced a terrific bicycle kick finish from the centre of the penalty area.

The Cherries were not so much banging the door down as taking it off its hinges, with Marcus Tavernier looking particularly lively in his side's search for a winning goal.

And three minutes from time, the visitors completed an astonishing comeback. Scott McKenna was left with his head in his hands as he was pressured into a mistake by Solanke. The former Liverpool man lifted his head and squared to Jaidon Anthony to slot into an empty net.

Taiwo Awoniyi almost snatched an equaliser for the home side, but there was no reprieve for Forest as they were left stunned at full-time.