Newcastle United

Steve Bruce insists he wants chance to remain Newcastle manager

Graeme Bailey
Steve Bruce wants to stay on as manager
Steve Bruce wants to stay on as manager / Visionhaus/GettyImages
facebooktwitterreddit

Steve Bruce insists that he wants to stay on as Newcastle United manager following the club's takeover.

Bruce had been expected to lose his job this week following the takeover led by Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund.

Sources close to the new ownership, which also involves PCP Capital Partners and the Reuben brothers, made it clear that Bruce and managing director Lee Charnley were not in their long-term plans.

Talks are ongoing about a new managerial appointment, but Newcastle confirmed on Friday that Bruce would remain in charge for their Premier League clash with Tottenham Hotspur - which will be his 1,000th game as a manager - but the boss insisted he wants to add to that number with the Magpies.

"I met the new owners last Monday and I was told to carry on, I didn't need any statement to tell me that," Bruce explained at his weekly news conference.

"They are very good people, we talked about the team, stadium and lots of things but not about my future. No discussions on me whatsoever. Certain discussions need to be private. It was very informal.

"They said carry on as best as you can, and that is what I am doing. I did consider my future last summer, but after finishing 12th I decided to carry on, this is still a great job."

Bruce countered suggestions that he is only staying so that he could get a full compensation package from the club.

"This is not about money, not at all, I just want to be Newcastle manager."

He then confirmed that he has not given up hope of remaining in charge, despite the plans already being in place to replace him.

"Of course I want to stay, who wouldn't?" he continued. "I am not giving up hope. This situation [the takeover] is a great thing that has happened, it is a great thing for the city. I have seen what has happened in Manchester."

Finally, Bruce also took the chance to hit back at the journalists in attendance, insisting they should find themselves in hot water because of 'wrong info'.

"I've tried to keep my respect and dignity, which has served me well over the last 20 years," he said. "That will remain, it has been difficult, of course.

"I hope you guys are getting a slap from your bosses to say that you haven't done your job. Whoever your source was, whoever's feeding you, didn't get it right. I hope you are feeling a bit of heat."

facebooktwitterreddit