The MLS Players Association (MLSPA) has released its 2022 Spring-Summer guide, featuring salary information for all players under contract as of April 15.
The guide contains the current base salary and average guaranteed compensation of every player in Major League Soccer on an annual basis, while also giving salary spending figures for clubs overall.
The guaranteed compensation figure includes base salary, guaranteed bonuses, agent fees, and marketing bonuses for the length of a player's contract - as well as option years - but doesn't include performance-dependent bonuses.
Though he will be surpassed upon Lorenzo Insigne's arrival at Toronto FC in the summer, Chicago Fire forward Xherdan Shaqiri is the current highest-paid player in MLS with a guaranteed compensation fee of just under $8.2m per year.
Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez, Gonzalo Higuain, Carlos Vela, and former USMNT striker Jozy Altidore also figure in the top 10.
Top 10 MLS player salaries (2022):
- Xherdan Shaqiri, Chicago Fire - $8,153,000
- Javier Hernandez, LA Galaxy - $6,000,000
- Gonzalo Higuain, Inter Miami - $5,793,750
- Alejandro Pozuelo, Toronto FC - $4.693,000
- Jozy Altidore, New England Revolution - $4.264,963
- Josef Martinez, Atlanta United - $4.414,667
- Carlos Vela, LAFC - $4.050,000
- Luiz Araujo, Atlanta United - $3.941,667
- Lucas Zelarayan, Columbus Crew - $3.700,000
- Carles Gil, New England Revolution - $3.545,833
Atlanta United - who are the highest spenders in MLS - are one of just two teams to have two players in the top 10, with Josef Martinez (6th) and Luiz Araujo (8th) both figuring. They're joined by the New England Revolution's Altidore (5th) and Carles Gil (10th) - the current MLS MVP.
Just outside the top 10 are the likes of Seattle Sounders duo Nico Lodeiro and Raul Ruidiaz, LA Galaxy DP Douglas Costa, and former Tottenham midfielder Victor Wanyama.
The full MLSPA salary guide can be found here.