AC Milan

Milan mayor plays down talk of scrapping San Siro rebuild

Sean Walsh
It was reported on Tuesday that rebuild plans were off the table
It was reported on Tuesday that rebuild plans were off the table / Marco Luzzani/GettyImages
facebooktwitterreddit

Milan city mayor Beppe Sala has refuted claims that plans to rebuild the iconic San Siro stadium have been called off.

Inter and AC Milan agreed to plans put forward by architectural firm Populous last year to knock down the existing ground and build a new 'Cathedral' stadium on top of the surrounding area instead.

Gazzetta dello Sport reported on Tuesday morning that these plans were going to be shelved due to bureaucratic issues, while there have been protests against the project from residents and environmentalists.

But Sala has moved quickly to dismiss this report, posting an image of an agreement signed with both clubs last week to reaffirm their commitment to the rebuild.

“As you can see from the image, the two clubs confirmed last week that they are preparing the documents for the public debate. Last week, not months ago," Sala said.

"Nothing has happened since I received this letter. Today, Gazzetta dello Sport published a scoop regarding Milan and Inter’s intention to build the stadium somewhere else.

"Either Gazzetta is just looking for a headline, or the teams tell me one thing (or rather they write it) and give others a different version. Having an official document in my hands, I want to think more about the first scenario.

"That being said, I want to tell everyone that the municipality has many other things to think about in this difficult moment."

Inter and Milan are keen on building a new stadium to help modernise the San Siro district of the city as well as to become the owners of their home ground.

The current stadium is owned by the city council and the two Serie A giants only receive a fraction of ticket revenue.

facebooktwitterreddit