Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen is looking increasingly likely to depart the north London club on June 30.
The Premier League confirmed last week that clubs are permitted to offer short-term deals past June 30 to ensure they complete the 2019/20 campaign with their current club.
However, ESPN report that the Belgian defender’s insistence on a two-year extension on his £70,000-per-week deal have cast doubt over his stay at the club, both in the long-term and the short-term.
With the two parties appearing unable to reach an agreement on the Belgian’s future, it seems increasingly likely that the former Ajax man will be a free agent following the expiration of his current deal on June 30.
The news will come as a blow to Spurs, who could now be without one of their first team squad members for the end of the 2019/20 campaign. Mourinho’s men currently sit eighth in the table, seven points behind London rivals Chelsea and the final Champions League place.
Since arriving from Ajax for £12m in 2012, Vertonghen has gone on to become a key member of the Spurs squad, making 311 appearances in his eight years at the club and forming a key partnership with compatriot Toby Alderweireld.
However, the 2017 signing of Columbia international Davinson Sánchez has seen Vertonghen’s first team opportunities somewhat limited. The Belgian has made just 19 Premier League appearances this season, with Sánchez and Alderweireld appearing to be Mourinho’s preferred centre-back partnership.
Should Vertonghen leave the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium at the end of next month, he won’t be short of admirers.
The 33-year-old is already said to be on the wishlist of Italian sides Roma and Inter, while former club Ajax are also said to be interested in acquiring the services of their former centre-back. Vertonghen’s preference is said to be either Italy or Spain.