FIFA drop investigation into alleged racist abuse of Kyle Walker by Poland's Kamil Glik

The incident sparked a flare-up between the two sets of players
The incident sparked a flare-up between the two sets of players / Michael Regan/GettyImages

FIFA have dropped their investigation into an alleged racist gesture made by Poland centre-back Kamil Glik towards England's Kyle Walker in September's World Cup qualifier.

Glik appeared to pinch Walker on the throat during the ill-tempered 1-1 draw in Warsaw, which led to a heated clash between the two sets of players in which centre-back Harry Maguire was clearly incensed about something.

The players' allegations were reported to the fourth official by the FA at half-time, although their Polish counterparts vehemently denied the claims from the outset.

FIFA launched an investigation, but according to the Polish FA the case has been closed a month on after 'grounds for disciplinary action' were not found.

Poland FA media officer Jakub Kwiatkowski tweeted on Wednesday: "In line with our position expressed from the outset, FIFA did not find grounds for disciplinary action against Kamil Glik after absurd accusations from the English federation.

"The case, at least on the basis of FIFA, has been closed."

The issue of racism reared its ugly head once again on Tuesday night during the Three Lions' most recent World Cup qualifier against Hungary at Wembley.

Police officers entered the away end to arrest a Hungary supporter who had allegedly racially abused a steward inside the stadium, before being met with violence and being driven back down onto the concourse amid ugly scenes in the stands.

England v Hungary - 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifier
Police clash with supporters in the away end at Wembley / Marc Atkins/GettyImages

In a statement, the Metropolitan Police said: "Shortly after the start of tonight's match at Wembley, officers entered the stand to arrest a spectator for a racially aggravated public order offence following comments made towards a steward.

"As the officers made the arrest, minor disorder broke out involving other spectators. Order was quickly restored and there have been no further incidents at this stage."