The English Football League (EFL) have confirmed three players from two clubs have tested positive for COVID-19 following the latest round of testing.
The news comes after Hull City revealed on Sunday that two of their players had tested positive for the virus in the first round of testing - the only two cases in the Championship at the time.
And after a second round of testing which took place earlier in the week, three have come back positive out of 1,030 overall tests.
In a statement the EFL said, as quoted by the Independent: ”Those players or Club staff who have tested positive will now self-isolate in line with the guidelines provided by the EFL and only those who have tested negative will be permitted to enter training ground facilities.
“The EFL will continue to make regular and relevant announcements as appropriate in respect of the testing programme to support competition integrity and transparency.
“No specific details as to Clubs or individuals will be provided by the League.”
Fulham, however, who currently sit third in the Championship table, were quick to announce that two of their players had tested positive.
“Both players, who shall remain unnamed due to medical confidentiality, are now self-isolating in line with league and government guidance,” the west London club said in a statement on their official website.
Championship clubs have been issued a 42-page protocol from the EFL detailing the precautionary steps to be taken in order to facilitate a successful return to training - which they did on Monday - and competing on matchdays.
Alongside rigorous testing and screening at the training ground, players and staff also have to complete a health questionnaire before entry, while spitting is prohibited.
Despite optimism, however, a potential return date for the second-tier is yet to be agreed.