CF Montreal midfielder Samuel Piette has signed a new three-year contract, the club announced Friday.
Piette's new deal will run through the 2025 MLS season with Montreal holding the option to extend his stay for an extra year.
“We are very pleased to sign Samuel, a local Quebec and Canadian player, to this extension,” CF Montreal vice-president and chief sporting officer Olivier Renard said in a club press release. “Already an important part of our Club for over five years, Samuel will help us continue moving our project forward in the years to come. He will continue to play a key role both at the Club and with the national team, as well as pursue his ongoing work off the field.”
Having previously spent time in Europe with the likes of Metz, Fortuna Dusseldorf, and Deportivo La Coruna, Piette moved to Montreal in August 2017, fulfilling his dream of playing for his hometown team.
Since then, the 27-year-old has appeared 161 times for Montreal across all competitions, helping them lift the 2021 Canadian Championship and reach the MLS Cup Playoffs in 2020 and 2022.
“I am very happy to continue my career at home here in Montreal,” said Piette. “It is an honor and a great pride to wear the CF Montreal jersey and represent my city on and off the field. I want to continue to inspire young people across Quebec.”
Signing Piette to a new deal marks a positive step in what could prove an uncertain offseason for Montreal, who will lose fellow midfielders Djordje Mihailovic (AZ Alkmaar) and Victor Wanyama. Talented youngster Ismael Kone is also attracting interest from Europe, while head coach Wilfried Nancy is understood to be on the list of possible replacements for Caleb Porter at the Columbus Crew.
Watch the story of Charlotte FC's journey to MLS in 90min's The Making of Charlotte FC, presented by DoorDash, on 90min channels now. Subscribe to our new US YouTube channel.