Carlos Vela jerseys tops 2023 MLS sales
By Abel Folgar
There is no doubt that Carlos Vela, the Mexican star who's in the process of building a legacy with LAFC, is a fan favorite. Six seasons in with the Black and Gold, his jersey is currently leading the charge as the League's top-seller.
MLS revealed the top 25-selling jerseys of the season so far and LAFC's captain is trailed by a rising Hany Mukhtar and solid Walker Zimmerman from Nashville SC, perennial fave Javier "Chicharito" Hernández from city rivals, the LA Galaxy, and Seattle Sounders FC forward Jordan Morris in the top five.
The list is telling of how MLS has shaped up, with 16 countries represented – and a solid 14 clubs being showed some love by the fans. The Sounders, who lead overall jersey sales, have five players among the top 25.
The figures are tallied from sales of the Adidas jerseys on MLSstore.com from January 1 through May 1. These are the top 25:
25. João Paulo - Seattle Sounders FC midfielder
24. Jakob Glesnes - Philadelphia Union defender
23. João Klauss - St. Louis CITY SC forward
22. Johnny Russell - Sporting Kansas City forward
21. Raúl Ruidíaz - Seattle Sounders FC forward
20. Mateusz Klich - D.C. United midfielder
19. Lucas Zelarayán - Columbus Crew midfielder
18. Julián Carranza - Philadelphia Union forward
17. Nicolás Lodeiro - Seattle Sounders FC midfielder
16. Dénis Bouanga - LAFC forward
15. Facundo Torres - Orlando City SC midfielder
14. Sebastián Driussi - Austin FC midfielder
13. Cucho - Columbus Crew forward
12. Cristian Roldan - Seattle Sounders FC midfielder
11. Benjamin Bender - Charlotte FC midfielder
10. Riqui Puig - LA Galaxy Midfielder
9. Andre Blake - Philadelphia Union goalkeeper
8. Dániel Gazdag - Philadelphia Union midfielder
7. Thiago Almada - Atlanta United midfielder
6. Josef Martínez - Inter Miami CF forward
5. Jordan Morris - Seattle Sounders FC forward
4. Chicharito - LA Galaxy forward
3. Walker Zimmerman - Nashville SC defender
2. Hany Mukhtar - Nashville SC midfielder
1. Carlos Vela - LAFC forward
With a disproportionate amount of forwards, midfielders, and a lone defender, it's nice to see that a large number of folks out there can appreciate a goalkeeper's jersey. So Vela might be no. 1 in sales, but Philly keeper Andre Blake cracked the top 10 and that says a lot.