Borussia Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc has insisted that Manchester United target Jadon Sancho will remain at the club for the 2020/21 season, a decision he claims is ‘final’.
Dortmund have also extended the 20-year-old’s contract by another 12 months until the summer of 2023 as part of negotiations that took place last summer when he was given a pay rise.
United have been actively pursuing Sancho for a number of months, but Dortmund have firmly stuck to their asking price – a rumoured €120m – and were insistent that any deal must have been completed by the time they left for a pre-season training camp.
Sancho was included in that squad, with the training sessions beginning on Monday.
Speaking to the media from their summer base, Zorc said, “We plan with Sancho. He'll play for us next season. The decision is final. I think that answers all of the questions.”
The retired midfielder also stated: “Last summer we adjusted the salary to the performance development of Jadon. In this context, we have extended the contract until 2023.”
Sancho is among the brightest young players in world football and managed 40 combined goals and assists in 44 appearances across all competitions in 2019/20.
There remains a significant disconnect with what is being said publicly and what is happening privately, however.
Sources with knowledge of the situation told 90min earlier this month, “Jadon has made his stance clear with the club, he wants this deal finalised – he has no plans to start the season with Dortmund, but they have told him that they fully expect things to be done.
“The deal is clearly edging towards getting done, and the two clubs have never broken off contact. It has been slow but has always been moving.”
It is also worth noting that Dortmund similarly ruled out Ousmane Dembele leaving the club in the summer of 2017 shortly before he joined Barcelona.