Tottenham Hotspur

Antonio Conte calls PSG links 'fake news'

Jude Summerfield
Conte's future at Tottenham remains uncertain
Conte's future at Tottenham remains uncertain / Chloe Knott - Danehouse/GettyImages
facebooktwitterreddit

Tottenham manager Antonio Conte has labelled links with a move to Paris Saint-Germain "fake news".

While the Italian hinted that his Spurs career could be over after a defeat to Burnley earlier in the season, 90min understands the club remain confident of keeping Conte for the 2022/23 campaign. There have been links with PSG this week, with Mauricio Pochettino expected to leave Paris imminently.

Conte's appointment saw an upturn in results that led Tottenham into the top four, but disappointing recent performances against Brighton and Brentford have seen Arsenal usurp them in the Champions League race.

Spurs have the chance to put some pressure on Arsenal with victory over Leicester on Sunday, with the Gunners travelling to face West Ham later that day.


What did Conte say about PSG rumours?

The Italian said: "Obviously I think it's good that other clubs appreciate my work, but this is one thing. The truth is I don't like when people try to invent news, only to speak, only to create problems. This is not right, this is not fair for the clubs involved or for my players. Also because I feel we're really focused on these fives games and getting a result.

"This type of situation makes me smile but I think that also the people that want to tell something about this have to show respect for all of the people that are involved in the situation and not invent fake news and tell a lot of lies."

When asked whether he speaks to Tottenham players about speculation over his future, he added: "In this situation who works in football, players or managers, know very well at this point in the season a lot of fake news starts to go out. We are working very hard, my players know very well that we are really focused, we are speaking a lot about this opportunity.

"We have to live this situation with passion, enthusiasm and joy. We deserve to fight for a place in the Champions League. To stay there we need to enjoy this situation. Our fans have to stay close to us in every moment, in every negative moment."


Tottenham team news vs Leicester

Left wing back Sergio Reguilon will not be available for Sunday's clash with Leicester. That will likely mean Ryan Sessegnon and Emerson Royal are deployed out wide, but Conte said he could see January signing Dejan Kulusevski playing there too.

He said: "If now we have Emerson and Sessegnon available I think also Deki can play in this position. I think the best solution is not to change what we've been doing for six-seven months. I think this formation can give us great satisfaction. If something else happens then of course I will be forced to find another solution."

Midfielder Oliver Skipp has been ruled out for the rest of the season. He has just signed a new contract with the club but hasn't played since January.

On the youngster's absence, Conte added: "I have spoken to the doctors. They said the surgery was OK and for sure Oliver will be ready for pre-season. It's a pity and don't forget we lost two players like Skippy and [Japhet] Tanganga from January and to not have two reliable players like them, it's not good to manage this situation. It's not good news."


For more from Jude Summerfield, follow him on Twitter!

facebooktwitterreddit