Cristiano Ronaldo will not return to Juventus for the time being and will remain in his native Madeira, despite being granted special permission to return to Italy amid the coronavirus emergency.

Italy is one of the countries worst affected by COVID-19, with the highest number of reported cases outside of China. Mass gatherings have been banned by the government, while Serie A has been suspended for a month in an attempt to help prevent the spread of the virus and safeguard the public.

There are also restrictions on travel in and out of the country. However, Ronaldo, who returned to Madeira on Monday to visit his family, had been granted ​permission to return to Italy on a private flight. 

Cristiano Ronaldo

Juventus trained on Wednesday despite the suspension of their upcoming league fixtures, but Ronaldo was not in attendance.

In a statement on the ​club's website, Juventus said: “Cristiano Ronaldo has not trained and remains in Madeira awaiting events to unfold with the current health emergency." 

The news comes in the wake of the club confirming that defender ​Daniele Rugani has tested positive for coronavirus.

The Italian centre back published a message on ​Twitter to calm concerns about his health, writing: You’ve read the news - so I want to reassure everyone who’s worried about me, I’m fine

"I urge you to respect the rules, because this virus makes no distinctions! Let's do it for ourselves, for our loved ones and for those around us.”

Juventus are due to host Lyon in the last 16 of the Champions League on Tuesday, but according to ​Reuters, the whole squad will have to spend two weeks in quarantine.

Aaron James Ramsey

Inter and Roma's Europa League fixtures against Getafe and Seville have already been postponed. Both were due to be played behind closed doors, but have been called off after travel restrictions were put in place between Spain and Italy.

Arsenal versus Manchester City became the first UK fixture to fall foul of the virus, with an unspecified number of Gunners players placed into isolation after contact with Olympiacos owner Evangelos Marinakis, who tested positive for the virus.