​A late strike from Jonjo Shelvey saw Newcastle snatch a point away from Manchester City on Saturday, gifting his former side and Premier League leaders Liverpool with the chance to move 11 points clear at the top of the table.

It was a slow start to the game as Manchester City looked to dominate the ball and wait for their moment, frustrating the likes of Allan Saint-Maximin with tactical fouls to spoil any counter-attacks.

And City's tactics paid off when Raheem Sterling scored the opening goal, having raced onto the end of David Silva's slick backheeled pass before firing the ball into the bottom right corner of the net.



City's lead only lasted a couple of minutes as Miguel Almirón set up Newcastle's equaliser.

Wait, Miguel Almirón actually got an assist?

Yes, Almirón unbelievably put the ball on a plate for full-back Jetro Willems to fire the ball into the bottom corner of the goal - a carbon copy of Sterling's strike just a few moments earlier.

Those four minutes of excitement certainly didn't tell the story of the whole match.

It was a slow, cagey affair at St. James' Park which lacked any real quality throughout the majority of the match, although the odd counter-attack did at least give the home fans a reason to get out of their seats.

But those same fans were left speechless when Kevin De Bruyne tried his luck with a half-volley on the edge of the penalty, catching goalkeeper Martin Dúbravka out and sending the ball into the back of the net via the underside of the crossbar.


But even after De Bruyne's strike appeared to give City a late win, Newcastle refused to lay down and somehow got themselves back into the match once again thanks to a screamer of their own.

From a smart set-piece routine, Shelvey was left unmarked on the edge of the penalty area and it proved to be a potential title-costing mistake from Guardiola's side.

The 27-year-old hit across Christian Atsu's pass and guided the ball into the far corner of Ederson's net, snatching a point away from Manchester City in the most spectacular way.


​​It was an ending to the game - and, for many, the title race too - which sent football Twitter into meltdown, with Manchester City now at risk of dropping 11 points behind Liverpool in the Premier League title race.

Here's some of the best post-match reaction:

For more from Ben Carter, follow him on Twitter!