​Hull City are reportedly refusing to pay Barnsley the final instalment of their agreed transfer fee for Angus MacDonald after the player was diagnosed with bowel cancer - with the matter now heading to court. 

MacDonald joined the Tigers in January 2018 after he had previously had spells with Salisbury and Torquay following his release from Reading as a youngster. 

The Daily Mail report that Hull are alleging that Barnsley failed to disclose that the defender had an iron deficiency when he moved between the two clubs.

As a result of this dispute, the Tigers have apparently withheld the final £200,000 instalment of McDonald's £750,000 transfer fee, which was due to be received by the Tykes on 31st August.

Torquay have also been affected by the disagreement, with the non-league side supposedly due what the Sportsmail's sources have termed a 'vital' £20,000 sum because of a sell-on clause.  

Brett Williams,Angus MacDonald

The 27-year-old made 13 appearances for Hull during his inaugural campaign at the club, before being ruled out for a year with a case of deep vein thrombosis. 

MacDonald had only just recovered from this setback when he again experienced serious health problems - being diagnosed with early stage bowel cancer this September. 

After his diagnosis, the centre-back posted a defiant message on social media, vowing to battle against his illness.

Benik Afobe,Angus MacDonald

He also received support from Hull, who posted a statement on the ​club's website. 

"Hull City are sad to announce that Angus MacDonald has been diagnosed with early stages of bowel cancer,” the club said. “Angus has shown great strength of character in the way he has reacted to this news.

“The whole Tigers family join together in showing Angus continued love and will support him in his recovery. His physical and mental wellbeing are our number one priority at this moment in time."

However, when asked to comment on the current situation involving the player's transfer fee, Hull said they could not due to it being a 'legal matter', while Torquay also declined to make a statement.