​Liverpool's tapping-up scandal involving a Stoke City youth player has been struck back into the headlines after the club have been accused of submitting a falsified document to the Premier League when trying to lure the then 12-year-old to Merseyside.


After breaching rules for illegally attempting to poach the Stoke City schoolboy by tapping up and offering inducements to his family, the Reds became the first club to be punished under the Premier League's strict new rules, and they have now been publicly accused of altering the date of a signature on his academy player registration application. 

Stoke City v Manchester United - Premier League

However, in further revelations the ​Telegraph report that the document was completed by the father and son on September 2 of last year - three days before the schoolboy was set to begin the new school year at the private school which Liverpool had agreed to pay until he was 16. 


The pair were told by the Reds not to date their signature, an instruction the father ignored, but the next time the family saw the documents - after the club had submitted it to the Premier League - the dates had been changed to September 21 and he subsequently reported it. 


The date meant it would appear as though they signed it two weeks after the boy had started school, but the father said on Tuesday: “If that is not falsifying a document, I don’t know what is."

Liverpool v Hull City - Premier League

Liverpool refused to deny altering the dates of the signatures, saying other relevant paperwork was not ready by September 2 and as such a decision was made to leave the boy's registration undated, further claiming the family had consented to the decision. 


They are said to have categorically denied 'falsifying' the document or changing the date to make it appear as though the club had not agreed to pay his school fees, which the Premier League confirmed they had taken into account as part of its investigation which is now at an end. 

The investigation resulted in Liverpool being banned from signing players from rival academies for at least 12 months and fined £100,000, however the family wants a court to hear the matter as part of their lawsuit. 


The £49,000 compensation still owed to Stoke for the four years they spent developing him is preventing him joining another academy and the family has been left in £15,000 of debt as a result.


The father added: “What Liverpool have done brings shame on that football club. They have ruined my son’s career and left him in despair. 

"He has been in limbo for a year now, thanks to the £49,000 price on his head, and is being blackballed by other clubs. No-one will touch him.


“The richest league in the world sells its dream of football to youngsters across the globe but its rules have created a nightmare for my lad.


"The fact a 13-year-old child can no longer pursue his dream of playing football doesn’t appear to matter.


“As a responsible parent, I call on the Government to intervene before we have a generation of damaged children.”


​​