New Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has made it clear that Yaya Toure will not be suiting up for the club again, unless the player's agent apologises to him.
The former Barcelona and Bayern Munich coach revealed, in his press conference ahead of City's EFL Cup clash with Swansea, that the midfielder had been out of his plans since Toure's representative Dimitri Seluk spoke out in the press.
Wow. Guardiola says Yaya Toure has been out of his plans since Dimitri Seluk spoke out in the press. Pep says Seluk must apologise #mcfc— Sam Lee (@Sammy_Goal) September 20, 2016
“If he wins the Champions League for City this season then I will travel to England and I will say on television that Pep Guardiola is the best manager in the world," Seluk said earlier this month.
“But if City don’t win the Champions League then I hope that Pep has got the balls to say that he was wrong to humiliate a great player like Yaya.
“Yaya is a professional and so he will do everything he is asked to do.
“Perhaps Pep will think he is good enough to play in the final 10 minutes of a League Cup game against a third division team – and, yes, I am joking.
“But what I can tell you is that Yaya will spend the season at City. He will not be leaving in January."
Pep on Yaya: It was difficult to leave him out of CL squad but day after his agent spoke, he was out. Wants him to apologise to club.— Stuart Brennan (@StuBrennanMEN) September 20, 2016
Toure has only played one match for City this season, a Champions League qualifying match against Steau Bucharest. His career under the Spanish boss is now all but over, unless of course Seluk issues an apology.
"It was so difficult for me to leave him (Toure) out of the Champions League squad," said Guardiola. "I know him, he is a good guy.
"But the day after he (Seluk) spoke, he was out. Until he doesn't speak, he is not going to play."