Few Bournemouth players turn up in Premier League discussions, but some of them have turned out for the top-level sides. One of them, of course, was Vince Bartram, who played 11 games for Arsenal in 1994-5, and suffered the misfortune of facing Alan Shearer at his most menacing. 

Bartram actually started his career at Wolves in the early 1980s, when the Wanderers were contemplating nothing but fourth division oblivion. He was unfortunately picked as the stand-in goalkeeper for arguably Wolves' most embarrassing defeat in their long FA Cup history - a 3-0 demolition at Chorley. But after a couple of uneventful loan spells, he built his reputation rather quickly after moving to Bournemouth in the summer of 1991. 

Agile, determined and a fearless stopper of shots, Bartram enjoyed three largely successful years on the South Coast, playing 132 games practically uninterrupted as the club's Number One. Highlights included keeping a clean sheet in the first half of an FA Cup tie against then very high-flying Blackburn in January 1993, and then conceding only one goal in 180 minutes against the same opposition in a two-legged league cup tie later that year. Over 40% of the games he played for the Cherries ended in a clean sheet - a tremendous record considering he was hardly blessed with the most gifted defenders. 

Alas, his later Bournemouth career was blighted by a sudden lack of confidence on dealing with crosses, which led to numerous unnecessary goals conceded. On one occasion, he even let an Andy Legg long throw slowly arch over his head and gave away the softest of tap-in goals. Training with David Seaman and Bob Wilson everyday certainly rectified that failing over the next few years, and he returned to Bournemouth as Gillingham player in the late '90s a vastly changed man. Fatter he may have been, but the hands were much safer, especially when faced with attacks from the wings.

Bournemouth never did manage to beat a Gillingham side with Bartram in goal, a statistic which must bring a wry smile to his face when he recalls how he was sometimes pilloried by Cherries fans. He played in that infamous playoff final defeat to Manchester City in 1999, and continued his fine form the following year as his side overcame disappointment to win the 2000 play-off final and reach the old Division One. 

He came to Bournemouth one more time in the 2001 FA Cup, and finished on the winning side again, before his career was ended in February 2004 when opposing goalkeeper Tony Warner came up for a late set-piece and collided with hapless Vince. He remained, for a good decade, one of the finest goalkeepers outside the Premiership. And he still has time to become a fine coach too.