Manchester United may have to wait until the end of the season to sign Sadio Mane from Southampton, after the ​Mail revealed the Saints were not willing to let him go in January.


Mane has been a target for United since last summer, and speculation has reigned in the past few days that they could renew their interest with a concrete bid for the player this month.


The player has recently fallen out with manager Ronald Koeman after turning up late to a team meeting, but Southampton are expected to resist all offers at this time of the year.

The Senegalese star was dropped for the defeat at Norwich on Saturday but the south coast club are still determined to rake in maximum price. They've slapped a £30m fee on the player's head, and Mane is now said to be open to the move too - though he'll demand a five-year deal worth £125k-a-week.


United will see that - as reported by the ​Sun on Sunday - as progress from last summer, as they were previously told the player wasn't for sale. Mane was criticised by Koeman last week however for his poor attitude in training and Southampton's position on the player's future has eased since.


Mane is set to hold talks over his future with his own personal advisors at some point in the next week, but he has been told by club officials that Southampton will not listen to offers for him until the summer transfer window.

Southampton v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League

The 23-year-old was missed by Southampton at Carrow Road, though he did appear off the bench for the last 10 minutes. 


Steven Davis said in the aftermath of the game that the player was a big miss: "Everyone in the squad knows the situation regarding that (Mane's disciplinary situation). He's an important player for us, the type of player who can create something out of nothing and there aren't many of those around."


Follow @_scottsaunders on Twitter and subscribe to the 90min podcast, which is available on iOS now! You can also find us on Android devices using the free Podcast Addict app.