Portugal and Juventus superstar, Cristiano Ronaldo has hit back at Italy's sports minister, Vincenzo Spadafora getting involved in a public row with the pair indirectly accusing each other of lying over whether the striker had broken protocols after testing positive for coronavirus.
Spadafora had revealed on Thursday that Ronaldo might have violated coronavirus protocols flying back to Italy from national team duty in Portugal after the five-time Ballon d'Or award winner earlier this week.
However, Ronaldo reiterated that he did not do anything wrong by taking to social networking site, Instagram to reveal that he did everything as per the protocols set.
"A gentlemen here in Italy, whose name I won't mention, said I didn't obey the protocol -- that's simply a lie. I followed all the protocols and I will continue to follow them, my conscience is clear.... Everything I did was authorised."
"They said I broke Italian law and this and that... it's all lies, I did everything properly. We did everything the right way -- leaving the [Portugal] team, in the air ambulance, arriving in Turin... I did not have contact with anyone," he added.
Spadafora replied to Ronaldo following his Instagram post calling for the footballer to not be arrogant.
"The fame and skill of certain players does not entitle them to be arrogant, disrespectful to the institutions and to lie. On the contrary, the more well known you are, the more you should feel the responsibility of thinking before speaking and setting a good example."
"I'm not going to continue with this matter forever," he added. "I'm not talking about it again and I repeat my wish that everyone who has tested positive recovers quickly."