The Sony Pictures Sports Network (SPSN) have revealed data stating that a total of 61 million viewers watched their full coverage of the Euro 2020 from the beginning of the tournament right till the final on July 12.
Their data also revealed that the Euro 2020 garnered three times the viewership when compared to the Euro 2016. The main reason for such a growth is said to be the exciting nature of each game in the tournament.
Here are some of the important observations shared by the network on their official website with regards to their viewership data during the tournament:
▪ On an average, 4.3 million viewers tuned in to watch each match during Euro 2020 – close to 70% growth compared to Euro 2016
▪ The LIVE telecast of the Final of Euro 2020 between Italy and England was watched by 4.7 million viewers
▪ Most of the matches in the tournament were simulcast across eight channels Sony Ten 2 SD, Sony Ten 2 HD, Sony Ten 3 SD, Sony Ten 3 HD, Sony Ten 4 SD and Sony Ten 4 HD
▪ Average Impressions for the LIVE matches of Euro 2020 is more than 3 times that of Euro 2016
▪ The LIVE telecast of the Final of Euro 2020 between Italy and England was watched by 4.7 million viewers (TG: CS 2+, All India U+R)
▪ Average Impressions for the LIVE matches of Euro 2020 is more than 3 times that of Euro 2016 (TG: CS 2+, All India U+R)
▪ The Hindi feed for Live matches was watched by 16.6 million viewers across the country (TG: CS 2+, All India U+R)
▪ The Malayalam and Bengali feeds for LIVE matches on Sony SIX were watched by 8.7 million viewers across Kerala and West Bengal (TG: CS 2+, Kerala and WB U+R)
▪ The Tamil and Telugu feeds on the recently launched Sony Ten 4 contributed 43% of the ratings for the semi-finals and finals in TN/Pondicherry and AP/Telangana (TG: CS 2+, All India U+R)
Speaking after the tournament's conclusion, Rajesh Kaul, Chief Revenue Officer, Distribution and Head – Sports Business, Sony Pictures Networks India said, "We at Sony Pictures Sports Network are delighted with the reception UEFA Euro 2020 has received in the Indian subcontinent.
"For the past three weeks, the country has enjoyed the International Football Extravaganza presented by the Sony Sports networks, making our channels among the top watched in the sports genre.
"Our aim is to provide our viewers with the best multi-sport events and the viewership numbers for this tournament proves that there is a demand for quality International sporting content in India.
"With the ongoing Olympics Games and upcoming India tour of England 2021, sports fans have a lot to look forward on our network."