Manchester United

Solskjaer Reveals Ronaldo Was Never Destined for Man City

Amreen
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insists Cristiano Ronaldo was never moving to rivals Man City
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insists Cristiano Ronaldo was never moving to rivals Man City / Gualter Fatia/Getty Images
facebooktwitterreddit

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has insisted there was no chance Cristiano Ronaldo would have signed for Manchester City even before Manchester United made a play for the 36-year-old.

City were linked with a move for the former Juventus man as they looked to replace Sergio Aguero who joined Barcelona earlier this summer. Ronaldo’s agent Jorge Mendes held talks with a number of clubs, and Pep Guardiola's seemed favourites to land the five-time Ballon d'Or winner before United swooped in at the last minute. But Solskjaer has insisted Ronaldo joining City was never a possibility.

"I don't think there was any prospect of that," said Solskjaer, when asked how close Ronaldo had come to joining City. "I don’t think so."

Ronaldo is set to make his second United debut against Newcastle United on Saturday, and Solskjaer also addressed the questions over who would take penalties for the Red Devils, especially since Bruno Fernandes has been United's go-to for spot kicks.

“I knew that question was going to come and of course I’ve had a chat with the two of them,” Solskjaer said. “We’ve got two players there that I’d trust with my life to put a penalty away and that’s a great position to be in.

"They’ll know via the conversations we’ve had and the conversations we’ll have before the games how we’re going to solve this. It’s going to be my decision what’ll happen. The two of them will keep on doing what they do when they’re asked to take the penalties.”

facebooktwitterreddit