Northeast United Come Back From Two Goals Down to Salvage a Point Against Kerala Blasters

Nov 26, 2020, 9:41 PM GMT+5:30
Indian Super League

Northeast United fought back from two goals down to grab a point against Kerala Blasters in an entertaining Indian Super League match at GMC Stadium Bambolim in Goa.

Blasters broke the deadlock early in the game as captain Sergio Cidoncha's header from a Seityasen Singh freekick went in off the post in the 5th minute.

Gary Hooper should have doubled Blasters' lead in the 23rd minute, but the English striker failed to convert after Cidoncha had played back the pass to the former Wellington Phoenix star, hitting his shot over the bar.

Northeast United came close to equalising in the 30th minute, but Ashutosh Mehta's shot from an acute angle, after he had been played through by Federico Gallego, went wide of the far post.

Blasters scored their second of the night just a minute into the injury time of the first-half. Seityasen swung a dangerous corner into the box which Costa twice headed and got cleared, before it fell to Puitea, who the referee deemed to have been fouled inside the box. Hooper stepped up and converted the resultant kick from the spot.

Northeast United halved the deficit in the 51st minute. Kwesi Appiah scored from close distance after what appeared to have been a miscommunication between Costa and Albino Gomes during a Highlanders corner. Hooper made a goal-line clearance to thwart Appiah's first attempt, but the Ghanaian found the target with his second attempt.

Northeast United were provided a golden opportunity to restore parity in the 66th minute after Lalengmawia had been brought down inside the box by Jessel Carneiro. However, Appiah's attempt from the spot cannoned off the bar for a goal kick, much to the frustration of the Higlanders.

Northeast continued their relentless push for an equaliser thereafter, and were rewarded with a goal in the 90th minute. Idrissa Sylla brought down a long ball with his chest and slammed a shot past Albino Gomes to salvage a point for Gerard Nus' team in the game.