Nabil Fekir Reveals Truth Behind Failed Liverpool Transfer

By Amreen
Nabil Fekir has opened on his failed move to Liverpool
Nabil Fekir has opened on his failed move to Liverpool / Fran Santiago/Getty Images

Nabil Fekir has opened on his failed move to Liverpool in 2018, claiming that it were issues with his agent rather than injury woes that prevented a move to Anfield.

The former Lyon man, who currently plies his trade at Real Betis, was at the center of a long-drawn transfer saga that eventually did not go the way he wanted. And Fekir has revealed that the move fell through because of his management.

“It was a dark moment,” the 28-year-old told The Times.

“I saw plenty of things which weren’t true. It was said the knee stopped me going to Liverpool but that wasn’t true.

"I went to Clairefontaine [France’s football centre near Paris], and they did all the proof [medical] and the knee was fine. I had a problem with my agent, my adviser. It was the agent responsible for the deal not going through."

Fekir went on to express his admiration for Liverpool and Jurgen Klopp, and added: "Of course I was disappointed not to go to Liverpool, very disappointed because Liverpool are a great club.

“I met the coach, Jurgen Klopp, and it went well. After meeting him, I wanted to join Liverpool even more. He’s a good person. It was really difficult to deal with as I really wanted to go to Liverpool. It was a moment that was not easy for me.”

Speaking at the time, the player's agent, Jean-Pierre Berne, played down Fekir's claims, and insisted that a combination of a knee injury and the involvement of another agent led to the deal being scuppered.

“He has to stop this show and stop taking people for fools. Everyone knows what happened,” Bernes told L’Equipe in 2019 (h/t Squawka).

“The transfer to Liverpool has turned around for two reasons. The first is his knee, even though the English club’s leaders were willing to make an effort on this.

“The second is the appearance of a foreign pseudo-representative who asked for the negotiations to be resumed from the beginning at the moment of signing. Between this episode and the medical visit, Liverpool’s leaders decided to abandon the case.”