Manchester United

Man Utd 1-1 Leicester: Red Devils hold on for nervy point against the Foxes

90min Staff
Fred saved the day for United
Fred saved the day for United / Naomi Baker/GettyImages

A sluggish Manchester United were made to work incredibly hard to seal a 1-1 draw with Leicester City on Saturday.

The first chance fell to Leicester and Harvey Barnes, whose glancing header from a free-kick looped over the bar and nestled onto the roof of the net after just two minutes. Barnes then twice fired wide from range ten minutes later, with David de Gea not tested but clearly aware of the potential threat in front of him. 

United, who were without the unwell Cristiano Ronaldo, gave up a lot of possession early on but still enjoyed some really nice moments on the ball. Their quick passing was a problem for Leicester, but the lack of forward presence seemed to be stunting any progress.

Paul Pogba, who was up top in Ronaldo's absence, sent an arching header comfortably into the gloves of Kasper Schmeichel with his side's first real attempt on goal 20 minutes in.

Schmeichel did then have to make a proper save when Bruno Fernandes found himself through on goal. The Dane made himself big and got a foot to the strike, stopping the best chance of the game so far.

On the half-hour mark, Kelechi Iheanacho missed his own excellent chance. He curled wide from the edge of the area and again failed to test De Gea, which summed up the first 45 pretty well; both teams threatened to be good but lacked any real quality going forwards.

That trend continued into the second half. It was United who looked most threatening, but efforts on Schmeichel's goal were few and far between even after the introduction of Marcus Rashford.

Against the run of play, it was Leicester who took the lead. The Foxes countered a counter and James Maddison's gorgeous cross was perfectly headed home by Kelechi Iheanacho shortly after the hour mark.

The lead was short-lived, however, as Fred fired into the back of the net after Schmeichel spilled a shot down to his feet with 24 minutes to go.

Leicester were the better side as the clock ticked on and they were nearly back ahead soon after courtesy of a header from Wesley Fofana, but David de Gea pulled off an excellent save to deny the young Frenchman.

With ten minutes to go, Leicester thought they had their goal when James Maddison fired home, but VAR intervened and spotted a foul by Iheanacho in the build-up, although it looked soft.

United took control in stoppage time and both Rashford and Jadon Sancho had chances to snatch a late winner for United. Neither did enough from a late cross and the latter ultimately dragged his strike wide with the last real opportunity of the match.