Argentina icon, Lionel Messi is widely considered to be the greatest player in the history of football, with the striker winning numerous professional and individual honours so far, including a record six Ballon d'Or awards.
Messi who is the skipper of the La Albiceleste is currently leading his country in the FIFA 2022 World Cup qualifiers, with the country on the brink of qualification for the showpiece event as they are currently placed second in the CONMEBOL standings with 29 points from 13 games.
If and when Lionel Scaloni's side reach the tournament next year, Messi could make his 26th appearance at World Cup tournaments – more than any other current player. The 34-year-old who has currently made 19 appearances in the finals for his part has 11 players to beat if he has to hold the individual record.
Here, we take a look at the 11 players who are above Messi on the list.
- Lothar Matthaus: 25 appearances
- Miroslav Klose: 24 appearances
- Paolo Maldini: 23 appearances
- Diego Maradona: 21 appearances
- Uwe Seeler: 21 appearances
- Wladyslaw Zmuda: 21 appearances
- Cafu: 21 appearances
- Philipp Lahm: 20 appearances
- Grzegorz Lato: 20 appearances
- Javier Mascherano: 20 appearances
- Bastian Schweinsteiger: 20 appearances