LaLiga president Javier Tebas slammed the idea of the European Super League, but admitted that Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Juventus deserve "some credit" for wanting to work with the game's governing bodies.
Last week, on Friday, the 'rebel trio' revealed that they wanted to carry on with the plans for creating the breakaway league, but were keen to work in a "constructive and co-operative manner, always counting on all football stakeholders".
According to the new proposal, plans for a redeveloped Super League would see the competition being 100 percent open, with no club holding permanent membership. Whereas, the initial proposal suggested that the 15 founding members would be immune from relegation. And Tebas has warmed slightly to the European Super League after the latest statement.
He told the media: "First of all, it's the same judge as always, so he was always going to rule in a similar fashion. If this particular judge has already made his views on the issue clear, he's not going to change his mind. It would be a joke if he did change his mind. In my opinion, the whole thing is a bit of a joke, but it would be even more so if he were to do that."
Tebas did, however, draw some encouragement from how the latest statement was worded. "They (the three clubs) are increasingly charitable," he added. "Now they're talking about working with the leagues, with UEFA, FIFA, how we're going to fix all the world's ills together. At least now they're talking about working together.
"I remember the words of the Real Madrid president (Florentino Perez) on (television show) El Chiringuito (in April), he told us not to worry, that he would organise everything and that they would hand out breadcrumbs here and there. Now they're taking a step forward in the right direction at least."