Viral Football

Joan Laporta Reveals FC Barcelona Rejected an Offer to Sign Cristiano Ronaldo When He Was at Sporting Lisbon

Jan 13, 2021, 5:00 PM GMT+5:30
Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi
Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi | David Ramos/Getty Images
facebooktwitterreddit

FC Barcelona presidential hopeful and former club president Joan Laporta has revealed the Catalan outfit rejected an offer to sign Cristiano Ronaldo when he was at Sporting Lisbon.

Laporta revealed Ronaldo had been offered to them for 17 million euros, but they rejected because they had already invested in Ronaldinho and they thought they were covered in the position Ronaldo then played.

"We were about to sign Ronaldinho and Rafa Marquez. Marquez's people proposed Cristiano Ronaldo to us. He was at Sporting Clube at the time," Laporta said in a chat with Twitter account, Iniestazo, as per Marca.

"One of his agents said that they had a player who they had sold to [Manchester] United for 19 million, but they'd sell him to us for 17 million. But we had already invested in Ronaldinho at the time. Cristiano played more out wide than in the centre. We thought we were covered, so we rejected him and I don't regret it."

Meanwhile, Ronaldo moved to Manchester United in 2003, and the Portuguese would go on to become one of the best players in the history of the Premier League club. In 2009, he joined Real Madrid and found greater success with the Spanish outfit before leaving them in the summer of 2018 to join Juventus, the club he currently plays for.

facebooktwitterreddit