MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - JANUARY 27:  Michael Carrick of Manchester United celebrates scoring his team's second goal with Wayne Rooney and his team mates during the Carling Cup Semi Final second leg match between Manchester United and Manchester City at Old Trafford on January 27, 2010 in Manchester, England.  (Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images)

5 Classic Manchester Derby Cup Clashes to Get You Ready for Wednesday's Showdown

There is something about cup competitions that makes derby clashes that little bit extra special - and the Manchester Derby is certainly no different. 

On Wednesday night, Jose Mourinho's Red Devils host Pep Guardiola's City for the second time this season. Guardiola's side edged their rivals earlier this season in the first league encounter at Old Trafford and Mourinho, facing off with Guardiola once more, will have revenge on his mind. 

So, as we look forward to what promises to be another tantalising tussle, here's five classic Manchester Derby cup clashes for a flavour of the history. 

5. City 4-0 United (November 1975, League Cup)

This thumping victory for City turned out to be hugely significant. Tony Book's side comfortably breezed past their rivals in what remains a highlight of their history. 

Dennis Tueart bagged a brace on a memorable night at Maine Road, including a goal after 35 seconds, as City rampaged their way towards eventually winning the League Cup that February. 

Little did they know though - that would be their last silverware of note until they lifted the FA Cup in 2011, marking their rise to the summit of English football as they displaced United as champions in dramatic fashion 12 months later. 

4. United 2-1 City (February 1996, FA Cup)

This was Fergie's United at their peak. A team containing the likes of Giggs, Cantona and Keane battled their way to a 2-1 victory over en route to clinching the FA Cup in 1996 in memorable style against Liverpool at Wembley. 

'Fergie's Fledglings' emerged victorious after a tight and, at times tempestuous, encounter thanks to goals from Lee Sharpe and Eric Cantona, completing a turnaround after Uwe Rosler's early strike had put City in front. 

City, under Alan Ball, fought hard but it was United's talismanic Frenchman who proved to be the decisive factor - and not for the last time that season. 

3. United 4-2 City (February 2004, FA Cup)

The 2003/04 season was a forgettable one for United on the Premier League front, but they still clinched a piece of silverware with the FA Cup. 

On their way to beating Millwall in the final, Fergie got the better of an old foe in Kevin Keegan in this high-scoring fifth-round clash. 

United's flying Dutchman Ruud van Nistelrooy was in fine form, scoring twice to ensure passage into the quarter-final. 

The game was not without its flashpoints, too. Gary Neville was sent off for headbutting Steve McManaman after the referee refused to award a penalty to United after the right-back went down under a challenge from Michael Tarnat.

Despite their numerical inferiority, United triumphed - and the game also saw a goal from a teenage Cristiano Ronaldo. 

2. United 3-1 City (4-3 agg, January 2010, League Cup)

Wayne Rooney's stoppage-time header ensured United's ticket to Wembley to face Aston Villa in the League Cup final, but the nature of their victory over their great rivals was even sweeter to the fans than the prospect of winning the trophy. 

United attacked with great intensity and numbers that night and, although City showed a tremendous amount of persistence and heart, they were left shattered. 

City held a 2-1 advantage from the first-leg, but Scholes levelled things up in the tie with his opener. Carrick made it two but Old Trafford was silenced when Carlos Tevez, who had joined City that summer after leaving United, flicked in a clever finish to level the tie up again. 

But up stepped Rooney, heading home Giggs' cross to send the Stretford End into raptures and bring the curtain down on an epic clash. 

1. City 2-3 United (January 2012, FA Cup)

This victory in the third round of the FA Cup meant a great deal to Ferguson, his players and the fans. The memory of being trounced by Mancini's City at Old Trafford 6-1 was still very much fresh in their heads and it would have been understandable to see a sheepish group of men in Red at the Etihad. 

However, Chris Foy sent off Vincent Kompany for a two-footed lunge in the 12th minute and United dominated soon after. United had already went ahead thanks to a superb header from Rooney, but then Danny Welbeck added a second. Rooney pounced again to put United in a commanding 3-0 lead going into the break. 

But City fought back valiantly. Mancini's side refused to capitulate and got back to within one through Aleksandar Kolarov's free-kick and Sergio Aguero's strike. With 25 minutes remaining, City looked a sure bet to complete the comeback but United held on, exacting some degree of revenge for their humiliation just three months prior.