The CIES Football Observatory has developed a unique methodology to compare the performance of players irrespective of their position. Issue number 331 of the Weekly Post highlights the outfield footballers with the highest score for domestic league matches played since the 1st of January 2021 for each of the 98 big-5 league clubs. Only players fielded for at least two thirds of minutes during this period are included in the rankings.
The greatest value overall was recorded for Lionel Messi: 92.5 out of 100! Eliminated from the Champions League, the Argentinean striker and FC Barcelona can now focus on La Liga. However, the departure of Luis Suarez will be a major obstacle to the title race. The Uruguayan has indeed the top performance score (84.3) at Atletico Madrid, while Toni Kroos (87.5) leads the table for Real Madrid ahead of Karim Benzema (85.3).
In the other four main European leagues, the highest CIES FO performance index values were registered for Robert Lewandowski in the Bundesliga (89.5), Cristiano Ronaldo in the Serie A (89.3), Guillermo Maripán (86.3) in the Ligue 1 and Jorginho in the Premier League (89.4). In the latter competition, Chelsea’s midfielder outranks Ruben Dias (89.4), Wilfred Ndidi (85.2) and Luke Shaw (83.4).
Here are the 20 best performing footballers across Europe in 2021:
20. Marcel Halstenberg - RB Leipzig
19. Maximilian Arnold - Vfl Wolfsburg
18. Luis Suarez - Atletico Madrid
17. Alexander Isak - Real Sociedad
16. Jose Fonte - Lille
15. Luis Alberto - Lazio
14. Robin Gosens - Atalanta
13. Wilfred Ndidi - Leicester City
12. Marcelo Brozovic - Inter Milan
11. Guillermo Maripan - AS Monaco
10. Jadon Sancho - Borussia Dortmund
9. Lorenzo Insigne - SSC Napoli
8. Andre Silva - Eintracht Frankfurt
7. Toni Kroos - Real Madrid
6. Nabil Fekir - Real Betis
5. Cristiano Ronaldo - Juventus
4. Ruben Dias - Manchester City
3. Jorginho - Chelsea
2. Robert Lewandowski - Bayern Munich
1. Lionel Messi - FC Barcelona