​Borussia Dortmund defender Marc Bartra has revealed in an interview with ​Kicker that he feared his playing days as a footballer were over, after getting injured in the attack on the team bus ahead of the Champions League clash with Monaco last month.


Reflecting upon the harrowing experience after Dortmund's 2-1 win over Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday, Bartra said:  “When the attack happened, I thought I would never be able to play again. I could not move in the first five or 10 minutes and I could not hear anything."

Fortunately, the 26-year-old's injuries were not as bad as he had feared in the immediate aftermath of the incident and his fractured wrist healed in time for him to make a return to the team in time for their last Bundesliga game of the season against Werder Bremen. Bartra started the cup final triumph before being replaced in the 76th minute.


“When the doctor told me after the surgery that everything was going well and I was going to be able to play again in a month, that was indescribable and the most beautiful news.


“I feel stronger today than ever before. I was very sad that such a thing could happen – it was a few damn difficult weeks – but now we can all enjoy this victory.”

Eintracht Frankfurt v Borussia Dortmund  - DFB Cup Final 2017

While Dortmund were able to end their run of losing in finals - three in the cup and one in the Champions League in 2013 - their league performance was disappointing this season, finishing 18 points behind Bayern Munich in 3rd place.


On this topic, the Spaniard said: "We might not have been so consistent in the Bundesliga, but we played well in the Champions League and won the cup.


"I can only use good words about Thomas Tuchel. Thanks to him I could play at a high level. I think he did a good job in general."