​Bournemouth midfielder Andrew Surman has insisted that his side are still involved in a relegation battle. The 30-year-old made the comments following his side's 2-0 win over fellow strugglers Swansea City at the weekend. 


Despite the win taking the Cherries nine points clear of the relegation zone, Surman has said that there is still work to be done.

"Our job is not done. We have 33 points and that is not going to keep us up", Surman told the ​Daily Echo.


Bournemouth picked up just two wins in their final nine games last season, and the midfielder has acknowledged that his team should not take their position for granted as they approach their final nine matches.


"We are well aware our run-in last season was not great. We had some extremely tough games and we were in a different position, we already had 40 points.


"It is a little bit different this season. We need the points but this is a great start and now, hopefully, we can start looking up rather than down."

Manchester City v AFC Bournemouth - Premier League

Surman also added that Swansea looked far more impressive under new manager Paul Clement than when they faced them in December: 


"They are definitely a different team to the one we faced earlier in the season. They set up to frustrate more than they did then, when they were more open.


"Swansea have good players: Gylfi Sigurdsson and Fernando Llorente can really hurt you. We defended for our lives and that gave us the platform to get the win.”


Eddie Howe's side have now won consecutive league games for the first time all season, but face a tricky couple of fixtures. Bournemouth travel to 10th-placed Southampton before taking on Liverpool at Anfield on April 5.